I’m not a big movie person. I blame it on my ability to become totally distracted by anything shiny. Seriously, I have the attention span of a squirrel. But that being said, there are a few movies that will make me stop whatever it is that I’m doing and become totally engrossed in the story.
In order by date (hey, I’m a librarian, I categorize things in my sleep):
- Imitation of Life (1959) ~ I found out at my dad’s funeral that his favorite song was “Troubles of this World” sung by Mahalia Jackson who sings the song in the movie at the mother’s funeral. My dad didn’t know this is my favorite movie and I didn’t know that song was his favorite ~ this movie will forever tie me to my dad.
- Somewhere in Time (1980) ~ My sister and I often quote this movie at each other. It’s the first romantic movie I’ve ever watched and it gave me unrealistic expectations of love (or at least no man has been willing to starve himself to death to be with me).
- Mommie Dearest (1981) ~ “No more wire hangers! Everrrrrr!” How can you forget that line? This movie is both horrific and funny at the same time.
- Dirty Dancing (1987) ~ “Nobody puts Baby in the corner.” Swoon. I know all the words and, yes, I do get up and dance. Every. Single. Time.
- Legally Blonde (2001) ~ Honestly, I heart just about anything with Reese Witherspoon in it. She’s just so freakin’ perky and talented.
Do you have a favorite movie that you know word for word?