As the blogger and photographer behind Living Outside the Stacks, I independently select and write about stuff I love and things I think you’ll enjoy too. Living Outside the Stacks has affiliate and advertising partnerships so I get revenue from sharing this content and from your purchase. Thank you for your support.
Hi, welcome to the first edition of Friday Favorites of 2020! Can you believe it? Not gonna lie, I’m still kind of gobsmacked. Last year flew by, but I’m not complaining. It was a hard year for my family.
Usually I put together a post with plans for the coming year, but I decided against that this year. I’ve found that I don’t stick to those plans and I end up feeling like I’ve let you and myself down. So I’m just gonna play things by ear. Hopefully, that’ll be less stressful. I miss having fun with the blog, ya know?
Did you see my salute to the twenties on Instagram? No, you can check it out here. When I was a teen, I loved reading about the “roaring twenties”, especially anything about the Harlem Renaissance and the artists who contributed to that period. I always think that I would’ve been some gangster’s girlfriend, dancing it up in some club… Yes, I’ve watched waaaaay too many movies. And I know how the story ends, but still…
I also recognize that it was a tough period for many African Americans and I don’t take their struggles lightly. It’s just always fascinated me that people can create beauty in the midst of ugly.
Anyway, I don’t think you came here for a history lesson, so let’s get on with my list of favorite things for this week…
1. During down days at work, like when the students are off campus or the library is quiet, I like to listen to podcasts. My current fave is The History Chicks. Beckett Graham and Susan Vollenweider are funny and irreverent; they make history fun.
2. I discovered a new favorite scent from Philosophy. If you like citrusy scents, you must give this a try. It’s incredibly light, clean, and spa-like.
3. Netflix is about to air a series about Madam C.J. Walker, the first self-made African American millionaire. The series is based on this book, which I’m about to add to my TBR shelf. She’s always fascinated me.
Click the links below to visit the other participants to see what they’re loving this week.
Leave a comment below and tell me something that made your favorites list for the week.
Enjoy your weekend,
Where I Co-host
- Ageless Style – Ten women, over the age of forty, prove that style is ageless. First Tuesday of the month.
- Fab Forties – Six bloggers, over the age of forty, show they’re still fabulously fashionable. First Monday of the month.
- Style Imitating Art – Style inspired by pieces of art. Every other week.
- Not Dead Yet Style – Visible Monday
- Elegance and Mommyhood – Thursday Moda
- A Pocketful of Polka Dots – Fabulous Friday