It’s so funny that I stumbled across this meme on Allie’s blog, Wardrobe Oxygen, because Miss 17 and I were just talking about how writing is becoming a lost art. Seriously, when I teach classes at the college, I just want to dedicate a couple of classes to writing basics ~ you know, mostly how to write so that I can read what the student has written. As much as I love technology, I hate what it has done to penmanship.
My mother taught me how to print and my father taught me how to write in cursive. My mother is left handed, I’m right handed. This was no easy task for her. She used to turn the paper upside down so that she could write and, well, that’s how I write ~ with my papers so slanted that they may as well be upside down. My father was an artist in every sense of the word. I wish that he (or I) had kept some of his sketches as well as some of his writing samples, absolutely beautiful but illegible. Have you ever tried to read the Declaration of Independence? That’s what my father’s writing looks like.
Over time I also developed other little quirks that add to the uniqueness of my writing:
- I love Pilot Precise V5 pens because they offer the sharpest and cleanest point (Pilot people if you stumble across this post and you want to give me a bunch of purple ones, I wouldn’t turn you down. Call me.)
- All of my letters have to be the same size (Yes, I’m a tad bit OCD about my writing)
- Everything slants in the same direction (I am responsible for a lot to the deforestation that has taken place across the US because I would just toss homework away left and right)
- I will rewrite until things are perfect (What you are about to see is a 3rd attempt, I wanted to do it again but I’m resisting the urge)
To participate in the meme, all you have to do is write the answers to these questions on a piece of paper:
- What’s your name/your blogger name?
- What’s your blog’s name/URL?
- Write “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.”
- Favorite quote?
- Your favorite song?
- Your favorite band/singers?
- Anything else you want to say?
- Tag three to five other people.