What is Twitter? Twitter is a microblogging platform that allows you to share information with your followers in 140 characters or less.
Why use Twitter? I use Twitter because I get immediate answers to questions but there are a myriad of other benefits that I’ve gained from using Twitter.
So now to the magic of Twitter….
1. Set up an account ~ go to Twitter and pick a username (can be your name, represent your business or blog, just make sure it’s something easy for you and your followers to remember)
2. Introduce yourself ~ This goes for both your Twitter bio as well as your first tweet. Remember you only have a minimal amount of space to make an impact, so you want your introduction to spark interest.
3. Start following people ~ Find out if any of your friends are on twitter and follow them. If there are news agencies that interest you such as CNN or Fox News, follow them. Also if you’re a part of a professional or social club you may want to check and see if they’re on twitter and start following them too.
4. Get followers ~ As you’re following people, introduce yourself to them and engage them in conversation, the thing people forget is that twitter is a dialogue ~ sending out random tweets is pointless and annoying. You can also register with http://www.twibes.com/, which is a tool for finding groups on Twitter with a common interest.
Now for a last few words about Twitter….
- Don’t fill your stream with a bunch of retweets
- Engage people in conversation
- Use lists to make your Twitter stream more efficient
- These are # hashtags, if you click on it in a Twitter stream it will take you to all tweets related to that hashtag e.g. #BreastCancer or #FollowFriday
Are you on Twitter? Have I left anything out? What else would you add to this tutorial?