Originally posted: 8 November 2012
Have you ever wanted to eat something so badly that you thought about it all day long? That’s how I was the other night. I wanted Shrimp and Grits with Fried Chicken. Desperately. So I quickly drove home and, guess what? No grits anywhere in the house. So I started thinking and thinking and thinking and when I finally accepted the fact that I wasn’t going to get in my car and drive back in to town just for some grits, I decided to make chowder. Best decision ever. Here’s the recipe, I hope you agree.
What you need:
- 1/2 lb Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cans Corn, drained
- 6 strips Bacon, crumbled
- 4 cups Red Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup Onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 tbs Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
What you do:
- Place potatoes, corn and onions in a large pot with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes simmer, combine butter, milk and flour in a saucepan over medium~low heat and cook until smooth and thick. Stir constantly.
- Pour milk mixture into the cooked vegetables, add the bacon and shrimp. Cook until the shrimp is no longer opaque.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
Now you eat
- Can be eaten as is or you can add shredded cheddar cheese
If you make it, let me know how you like it!