A few days ago I asked the question that has been plaguing mom bloggers since the beginning of time. Ok, maybe that’s an exaggeration but from the replies I received to my query, I’d say this topic is pretty high on everyone’s list… Moms want to know how they can make money from their blogs. After I asked the question, Jennifer James wrote a brief outline in my comments section about how to profit from your blog and then she wrote an excellent follow up post. I won’t rehash what she wrote but I will offer the following suggestions for making your blog more appealing to companies:
1. Market yourself ~ Think about it, you have a blog and you’re on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc., you’re making a name for yourself, so use that to your advantage. Let companies know what they can get for their money.
2. Brand yourself ~ You are your best advertisement. For example, I’m a big coffee drinker so I had a travel mug made by Designhergals.com that has my image as well as the name of my blog on it. You wouldn’t believe how many people ask about the mug and about my blog.
3. Proofread your posts ~ When you’re representing a company, you want to put your best foot forward. All blogging platforms come equipped with spell check, use it.
4. Be authentic ~ I find that the blogs that draw me in are not just the ones that pimp products but the ones that share something about the blogger. Give your readers a reason to trust you.
5. Be bold ~ If you want to represent a company, contact them and ask. The worst they can say is “No”, right? Check out this post from Mommy Reporter.
6. HAVE FUN ~ Whether you make pocket change or enough to finance a mortgage, you want to have fun. Blogging takes a lot of time and plenty of effort and if it stops being fun, you may need to take a step back for a bit.