Soooo, the family survived the first round of Meatless Monday! I’m so incredibly proud of them. I fully expected a lot of grumbling and sneaking of meat but the kids were all over that Spinach, Tomato and Cheese Tortellini (click here for the recipe). In the interest full disclosure, the hubs was out of town, so it was pretty easy to get the kids on board.
Tonight, the hubs is home (cue screams, wails and shrieks)…
We’re having Crockpot 4 Bean Chili with Rice. We have to have rice with our chili, that’s a mainstay in this family. Here’s the recipe that I used:
- 15 oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 15 oz can White Kidney Beans
- 15 oz can Black Beans
- 15 oz can Pinto Beans
- 11 oz can Mexican~Style Corn (I used a small can of corn because someone ~ the hubs ~ isn’t a corn fan. I know, right?)
- (2) 16 oz jars salsa (your favorite flavor)
- 2 cups water
- Drain the beans and pour into the crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours
- Serve over rice with sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired.
I adapted the recipe from one that I found on the Meatless Monday website (click here to see the original recipe). Speaking of Meatless Monday, did you know there’s a whole website dedicated to Meatless Monday? Yep, I didn’t know there was this whole Meatless Monday movement. I’m one of the cool kids! Anyway, you should definitely check it out for some culinary inspiration.