Have you ever wanted to eat something so badly that you thought about it all day long? That’s how I was the other night. I wanted Shrimp and Grits with Fried Chicken. Desperately. So I quickly drove home and, guess what? No grits anywhere in the house. So I started thinking and thinking and thinking and when I finally accepted the fact that I wasn’t going to get in my car and drive back in to town just for some grits, I decided to make chowder. Best decision ever. Here’s the recipe, I hope you agree.
What you need:
1/2 lb Shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cans Corn, drained
6 strips Bacon, crumbled
4 cups Red Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
3 cups Chicken Broth
4 cups Milk
1 tbs Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper
What you do:
Place potatoes, corn and onions in a large pot with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
While potatoes simmer, combine butter, milk and flour in a saucepan over medium~low heat and cook until smooth and thick. Stir constantly.
Pour milk mixture into the cooked vegetables, add the bacon and shrimp. Cook until the shrimp is no longer opaque.
Remove from heat. Add lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
Now you eat
Can be eaten as is or you can add shredded cheddar cheese
Hi, and welcome to Coffee Talk. In case you’re new here, this is where I share some of the great and not~so~great stuff that I find on the web. Topics range from news stories that leave me scratchin’ my head to DIYs that I think are absolutely clever. And there may be a recipe thrown in here or there just for fun.
1. Two weeks ago Terrilynn Monette was out celebrating her “Teacher of the Year” nomination, within a few hours she would vanish without a trace. There’s so much wrong with this story that it’s hard to find the beginning…
Monette was last seen celebrating with friends at Parlay’s, a bar in the Lakeview area of New Orleans, LA. After drinking and having a good time, Monette told her friends she was too drunk to drive home, so she was going to sleep it off in her car. side eye at the “friends” Later, a bar tender would tell the police that he had to “cut her off” because she’d had too much. giving the bar tender the stink eye as well Around 4 AM, Monette was seen talking to an unidentified male, who was questioned and released by the police. She has not been seen since.
Soooo, these are the problems that I have with this story:
Monette’s friends were OK with her “sleeping” in her car even though she was reportedly drunk?
In New Orleans? By herself? Really?
The bar tender couldn’t call her a cab since she was so drunk he had to cut her off?
We have another story of a missing black female who isn’t getting any of the press coverage that missing white females receive I hate making this about race but if this were a white girl, we’d be getting hourly updates, just saying…
If you have any information, please contact the New Orleans Police Department at 504.821.222 or Texas EquuSearch at 281.309.9500.
2. And in news that I sincerely hope is a joke, Lady Gaga is riding around in a 24~karat~gold~plated wheelchair. blank stare This fancy schmancy wheel chair also has a cushy leather seat and a canopy that kinda resembles the ones you see on baby carriages. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. I know being over the top is her “thing” but seriously?
3. Every so often, I get a little itch do some crafting. Really, there’s nothing like wearing something that you’ve created with your own two hands. I also have the attention span of a gnat so when I make stuff, I need to see it all come together rather quickly. So if you’re anything like me, this diy beaded necklace from my friend and fellow blogger, Chandra at a stylish little lady, is perfect! Isn’t it adorbs? And you can wear it with just about anything. Suh~weet.
4. And speaking of sweet, who wants chocolate chip cookies? raises hands, jumps in the air, and does everything else to call attention to the fact that I love chocolate chip cookies My friend, Lisa at It Keeps Getting Better is sharing her recipe for The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever. My finders fee is, of course, some freshly baked cookies.
What had you talking this week?
Please feel free to join me on Facebook or Instagram where we celebrate Fist Bump Friday, which gives you the opportunity to share your good news with everyone!
I thought I’d try something new on Thursdays; instead of just posting a picture and linking to my flickr account, I thought I’d share a couple of things I’ve found while surfing the web. These may be links to products I think are cool, blog posts I find interesting, or outfits I absolutely love… I hope you’ll find these things as interesting as I do.
1. Coffitivity ~ When I work, I like having a bit of ambient noise to help get my mental motor going. I also used to like working in the coffee shop before I started working in the library. I liked the hum of conversation, the smell of freshly brewed coffee, and the warm comfy feel of that was my local coffee shop; this website evokes those feelings. All you do is play your music slightly louder than the sounds of the simulated coffee shop. So cool.
2. Kleinworth & Co. ~ I don’t know what’s more nom worthy, Gina’s pictures or her recipes but let me tell ya, you will be drooling when you look at her blog, so wear a bib. Her recipe for Blueberry Pie Bars will have you running out to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients.
3. Women Need to Say ‘No’ More ~ I shared this article from Christianity Today with one of my church groups because I think it’s important that women learn the power of the word “No” for their own spiritual, physical, and psychological protection. No one should feel pressured to take on more work than they can handle or accept unwanted help from a stranger because they don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings by saying “No”. That one word could save your life.
And a few things from me that you may have missed: