So much has happened in the last week and a half that I’ve been disconnected. Most of it’s been good, some of it’s been bad and the rest has been seriously? I had planned to write out a post for each and every thing that happened but decided against it. You know, for my own sanity. And because I don’t want to overwhelm you with the craziness that is my life right now.
So here’s a bit of the happenings from the past few days:
- We have a home ~ When we moved here, we didn’t have a home. We had the possibility of a home but nothing definitive. I played it off, pretended I wasn’t nervous but lemme tell ya, moving half way across the country with a dog, a husband, four kids and no home ain’t no joke. But, at the last minute, our realtor called and said he found a place for us. Yay! All praises to God because He came through for us (I’ll post pics later this week). What is it the old timers used to say? He may not come when you want Him, but He’s always right on time!
- No internet for way too long ~ We were promised that we’d have internet last week but the tech called the wrong number and the people who answered had no clue what he was talking about, so rather than call the company for the right number, the tech canceled our order. Yes, seriously. So we had to wait until this week to get internet. It was their fault and still we offered to pay the tech overtime to run by our place and hook us up. No dice. I guess the economy isn’t all that bad for some folks.
- A lot of family time ~ I used to complain that we hardly ever spent any time together, well, that’s all changed. Every night since we moved into the house, we’ve had dinner at the dining room table. It’s the most amazing thing ~ sitting together and just talking. Even if it’s about nothing, I’m totally enjoying it, especially since I know it’ll end as soon as school starts and the kids start making friends.
- Got lost in the corn fields ~ I heart my GPS but sometimes it tells me to make a right turn when it’s painfully obvious that I cannot make a right turn lest I end up like one of those idiots who winds up in a river because the GPS said “to turn right”. So in an effort to get my children home without drowning them, we ended up in some corn field with my GPS yelling in her clipped British accent “GET OFF THE ROAD, YOU NON~DIRECTION TAKING IDIOT! I SAID TO TURN RIGHT!”* I would’ve taken pictures but I was afraid of “He Who Walks Behind the Rows”. *That’s a slight exaggeration but I’m almost certain that’s what my GPS would’ve said if she could talk, think, react…
- The food went bad ~ After weeks of eating fast food and promising the kids that we’d have a home cooked meal, I went grocery shopping and spent $258 on meat, which I promptly had the kids put in the freezer on what was probably the hottest day since we’ve moved here. After loading the freezer, I took the kids to the school to get them registered for classes, tour the buildings, etc. About 4½ hours later I received a frantic call from the hubs stating that the whole house smelled rank. Apparently, the kids didn’t notice that the freezer was not cold and, well, my house smelled like a rotted carcass. Several rotted carcasses. $258 worth of rotted carcasses.
- Toured the campus ~ Miss 17 will be attending college approximately 10 minutes from my front door. Secretly I’m thrilled but publicly I’m asking “Why is she still in my house?” Today, she and I toured the campus and had a great time, sweating, walking, complaining and enjoying the beautiful campus. I think she’ll be incredibly happy there.
- Registered the teens for Junior and Senior High School ~ I cannot believe I have college and high school aged kids! Where did the time go? Anyway, I registered the kids for school and ohmygosh the high school looks like a junior college campus. They have a recording studio on campus. A RECORDING STUDIO!!!! The school also functions like a college, the kids pick their courses according to their career interests (don’t worry, they’re not stuck on that track). So incredibly cool.
- Neighbor brought over brownies ~ You know how on those oldies shows from Nick at Nite, people bring over apple pies to introduce themselves to the new neighbors? Ours brought over brownies. I think someone must have told her that my kids love chocolate.
So what’s been going on in your world since the last time we talked?